Pages

Wednesday

Storyfingers Booklist

I'll be the first to admit that my vocabulary is not exactly what one would expect of a typical teenager. Truth be told, I'm not, so of course, that rather explains the first statement. Well, to be precise, it explains why the first statement isn't so odd after all. Still, I'm guessing you're all seeking some sort of enlightenment as to why I'm even blogging this. The fact that I use weird lingo is partially due to my extraordinary friends, true, but it is also largely due to the books I read. (My family would translate read as devour.) For those of you who didn't know, books are some of the most wonderful things in the world. They can be the most powerful tools, they can be the most excellent educators, and they can take you places that no jet, camel, kayak, or foot could go. You can find books about anything and everything, logical, ridiculous, or a queer combination of both, with a good measure of realistic fancy. (Do you believe sentence #1 yet?) So I've decided to post a book list for you. I won't post every book on my aforementioned list, just a few of my favorites. (After all, you'd get sick of a list that takes a decade to finish...) Just a note in passing, if you see an "S" after a book, then that book is the first of a series. Sometimes I may not recommend the entire series, so watch for ensuing titles by the same author.

1. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. This one is full of detail and beauty! S

2. Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery. Another creative work of art!

3. Rebecka of Sunnybrook Farm by L. M. Montgomery. This one I loved!

4. Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis. This one is great for mid-teens and adults.

5. The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis. This one is a great first-of-a-series! S

6. Any book by Dr. Seuss! These are great for all ages. I love them, my little brother loves them, my mom loves them.

7. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. "The enchanting prelude to..."

8. The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien. Wow! Wonderful books! One of my favorite authors, for sure. S

9. The Yearling by Marjorie Kennen Rawlings. This one made me cry, sure sign of a well-written book. Great work, Rawlings!

10. Miracles of Maple Hill by Virginia Sorensen. I love the rustic setting in this winter/spring tale.

11. Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. Goes right with the above.

12. Rethinking Worldview by J. Mark Bertrand. This is great for those of you who like to think.

13. The Elizabeth George Young Woman's Collection by Elizabeth George. Girls-reading-my-blog, get this book and read it cover to cover. Don't scoff at the pink hard-cover, this is an amazing set of books! (Sorry guys, had to post that.)

14. The Puzzling World of Winston Breen by Eric Berlin. I love the puzzles in this book!

15. All things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot. This country vet has stories just waiting to enrich your life. S

16. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. This is not just a kids book!

17. The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King. The next three books go with this one, but don't try to tackle them all in a row!

18. O Jerusalem by Laurie R. King.

19. The Moor by Laurie R. King.

20. The Game by Laurie R. King.

21. Redwall by Brian Jaque. Captivating tale! S

22. Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister. This is a wonderful read, good for ages 7-107. Seriously! S

23. Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. This is great for anyone who loves writing/grammar!

Thanks all, for hangin' in there through that list. I could add to it, but don't tempt me! These are only a few off the good books I've enjoyed, and I certainly hope you enjoy some of them also. By the way, it is very helpful to keep a list of books (including authors) and when you read them. My list is several pages long, despite the fact that I forgot most of the books I've read before I could write them down!

9 comments:

  1. Very nice! Some of my very favorite books are as follows:
    (I'm only including favorites that are not in your list. There's a lot of my favorites on there too!)
    *Ahem*
    Gone-Away Lake and Return to Gone-Away by Elizabeth Enright.
    The Mysterious Benedict Society (The whole series) by Trenton Lee Stewart.
    The Secret Garden
    A Little Princess
    Holes
    The City of Ember
    All the Little House on the Prairie books
    Aaaand, well about a million others. If I think of any more, I'll let ya know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Friend blogger. I'm glad I finally have a profile picture. And great idea on the books, let's save some for another post. I wasn't leaving them out permanently! To think that I would leave someone with a booklist only 23 long? *Gasp* Horrors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horrors is right! I might have to send you a secret email with my other favorites, and then you can post them! Of course, you can post the ones in my other comment too. Not everyone reads comments.
    Silly people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah. True that. (More borrowed lingo...) Yes, I think I'll ask you to send favorites, and I'll see which other ones I have on my lengthy list. I haven't looked past the first mile or so yet, so there may be a few left. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :)
    Niiiice. It's probably the same for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. did you actually take that picture?
    btw I posted on that one with Isaacs picture on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't take the picture of the pen, I asked Anni too, because her brother can make wooden pens. (I didn't want any plain old pen with an advertisement from a bank or an orthodontist on it!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm waiting for a new post ... Hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete