Pages

Monday

Sweet sentences

I loved these, so of course, I had to share them with the world. (Because - of course - the whole world reads my fabulous blog!)

This first one is a classic...I read it in a book - "The Mysterious Benedict Society" by Trenton Lee Stewart. It's a wonderful book. I read it once, read the sequel and then the sequel to that, and then went back and bought the first book so I could read it again!

"What is wrong with this statement?"

That's a puzzler, for some. Let me know if really can't figure it out.

And then there's this one, which I also read in a book. For those of you who actually use punctuation still, this book is for you - "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss. I loved it so much that somebody gave it to me for my birthday, and frankly, I can't think of a more appropriate gift!

"Is this a rhetorical question?"

Literally unanswerable, no?"

And that one made me think of this one, which is more along the lines of the first "statement"...

"This is a rhetorical question."

Somebody I know actually said that to me...

And this one doesn't really go along with anything else yet; I thought it was worthy to be posted despite that tiny little flaw. It goes thusly (and this little statement is never false!)

"You can read."

And it's less-brilliant little brother-of-a-sentence...

"If you can read this, you can read."

(!)

7 comments:

  1. Ooh! Those are hilarious! :-P
    I got the "statement" one. But I'm not gonna say what's wrong with it, so people can't just find out by reading my comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good, very good! Have you read that book also, perchance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perchance yes perchance. Imagine that.
    :)
    P.S. I'm planning to start Eats Shoots and Leaves. I hope your satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am here(just thought I would let you know.) and I read you're blog. the blog that I already read on scratch paper:)
    And I liked it:0

    I also Liked that one one the other post...
    "why do we dive on parkways and park in driveways?" Or something to that affect.(-excuse my grammer i have not read the nerd book yet:)-I didn't know weather to put affect or effect... I might have gotten it right. 50-50 change right?)
    -me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Liz! Thanks for reading it! Oh, yes, I'd forgotten about the parkways and driveways nonsense. That was a fun post too! Effect is when something has an effect, e.g. "Or something to that effect." Affect is when something is affected, e.g. "The weather affected her drifing."

    LY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yup... I understood you....
    totally...
    what is the difference!
    anywho....
    that paper that you liked my teacher did not like it. I got 34/40... not bad but I like bettter....
    LY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well then. I certainly would have given your paper 40/40. Hands down. But please, please send it to that address I gave you. Please? If you don't...

    ReplyDelete