Pages

Monday

Books you MUST read. And why.

In the past I have posted book lists as posts and books as a list on my sidebar, but now I'm going to select a few books that you must read and tell you why you must read them. Whenever somebody tells me to read a book I immediately ask what it's about, so it's only fair that I tell you why as well as what. I begin.



The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. This is an excellent book about one year in a boy's life during which he becomes a man. The story line is entertaining, flowing, and unexpected. The words are well chosen and the story is very well written. The theme of the book is deep and wonderful. (Did I seriously just write a review without giving anything away? *Cheers!*)



The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien. It's a fantasy set in another world. I would describe the world as magical because simply put, it is. But the word "magical" seemed so fairy-like and flippant. That is not this book! This book has a deep history in other tales which enhances the action and the understanding of this book. It is a story that is very mystical and wonderful, but very human (in a non-human way), real, and even painful. Beautiful beyond description. For a good description by C. S. Lewis go here.



The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley. This book is made amazing by its highly amusing, rare and marvelous perspective. I cannot recommend a more entertaining or relieving read. I was amazing when I read this book, and you will be too (because you WILL read it. No?)


Now. Your turn. Leave a comment and tell me 1. If you have already read any of the above and 2. If you have any books that I MUST read. Also leave a comment if: I must leave a longer list. I must be more convincing (Really, people?) or You have not already left a comment on this post.

5 comments:

  1. The Yearling: I read part of it, and uh, sorta stopped. I don't remember why ... must finish it this year! Don't let me forget.
    The Fellowship of the Ring: It's on my list! And I know you won't let me not read it, so yeah. This year I hope!
    The Great Good Thing: ah-ha! I do believe I recommended this to you. I feel honored that you picked it for your top three must reads. ;)

    You must read The Giver. And you must read more of the Russel and Holmes books. And, uh, oh! You'd probably like The Sherwood Ring too!!

    And yes, I think you need to post another list soonishly!! Love looking at other peoples favorite books and such. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, you've gotten LOTS of votes in your poll! Cool! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost added "And Inna, don't remind me of "The Giver," I already know!" but I didn't. Ha. I knew you would write something about that. And yes, you did recommend "The Great Good Thing" to me. A wonderful recommendation it was, too. Good enough for a Christmas gift, no? *Grin*

    Poll: Yeah! I'm curious who caused it to become "10" "9" and "8" though! Somebody was stubborn about voting three times, or something. I've got great plans for more posts, and coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read part of The Yearling several years ago, but I didn't finish it. I think I was bored with it, but I was also at a stage when big, thick books with tiny letters terrified me. (Thankfully I passed that stage.) The other two I haven't read ... yet. :)

    You must read A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I loved it.

    P.S. I found your blog through In The Bookcase's Sharing Our Bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks for linking up on the "Sharing Our Bookshelves" meme on my blog. (I know that was several days ago... but I'm trying to catch up.)

    Your post here was perfect. Let's see..."The Yearling" is one I've heard about and have considered reading before, but never have.

    In suggesting a book for you to read, I have 2. My favorite book of all time is "Greyfriars Bobby"--you can find a review of that somewhere on my blog if you're interested. Secondly, would be "Les Miserables". Both of these are heart-wrenching classic pieces of literature... so beware. FYI, Les Miz is over 1000 pages!!

    Well, I think that's all I had to say. Again, I appreciate you linking up on my blog.
    ~ Tarissa

    ReplyDelete