Pages

Sunday

Poetry!

This week in my Lit. class, we learned about the various forms of poetry, and then we were given the assignment of writing three different poems in three different forms, or styles.


Here are mine.



Battle Worthy Spring.
I fain would have a battle-worthy Spring
To spite cold Winter's crude and cruel designs.
Invoked by her, our tired and weary sighs,
Our dirges and our mournful carols ring.
And winter's vice!--her mortal arrows sing--
Snow; snow; in drifting, streaming lines
The rain and weeping, howling wind betimes
Encircle dwellings all, with icy wings.
But sunlight warms, inspires our tongues to dance
With soft, sly songs of coming season's cheer
And words of buds and blooming. Every chance
Of stolen sunshine gives us reason more to leer
As wounded Winter with her shattered lance
Admits a battle-worthy Spring for one more year.
Death's Cool Hand
In quiet contemplation, she saw all;
T'was one short road, riddled with black milestones.
Death had raised an ugly head before,
bearing sudden witness of life's brevity
Or haunted her for seeming weeks eternal.
But there, her life a book, he'd scribbled
One page black, another gray, but all discolored with defeat.
With death; death, dea--
Now she lay unmoving--her feet unstilled
As she wandered roads past trod.
As she headed not this world or that
Still yet she knew Death had forced
From her unwilling lips a promise but
She could not resign.
About her, all was still within the room until,
As if from knowledge to confusion
The kitchen buzzed with hushed and hurried movement.
Knowledge lay in yet-unwilling bondage.
Confusion--disillusioned--tried to ward off Knowledge's Truth.
And with Reluctance, Fear kept silent vigil
Speaking: screaming not with words.
Dreams of horror, blood, pain, writhing.
Torment allowed not Rest to enter in,
But stretched the rack of mental affliction.
Until final, gentle release as, when with Truth,
Death's cool hand came; led her home.
I
I like to listen but
I talk a lot but
I am shy but
I make friends but
I'm not perfect but
I try hard but
I still fail but
I often succeed but
I can't win but
I do well but
I get confused but
I am smart but
I don't know but
I am known.


Please let me know what you think of these! If you have any questions, just ask. I know the second two are strange...they were amusing, morbid, and interesting to write...respectively.

14 comments:

  1. Love the first one!
    The second one, very dramatic, indeed!
    And the third one. Me likey! :)
    Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the third one.
    And the second one. and the first one!! :)
    Me likey them all!!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!

    Yes, I thrived on the drama of the second one. It was all so vivid in my mind. I know there's no physical color to the poem, but there quite a bit of emotional color. I was satisfied with it.

    The third one: Thanks! I wasn't sure if people would take it as rediculously stupid, or honest and revealing. It's meant to be honest and revealing. Take that back, it is honest and revealing. It's poetry.

    Final thoughts...Too bad she didn't let us write a limmerik too! Some of those are so much fun...

    "There was a young lady whose nose
    Continually prospers and grows.
    When it grew out of sight,
    She declared in a fright,
    'Oh! Farewell to the end of my nose!'"

    Or

    There was a young man of Greenbay
    Who was making explosives one day.
    He dropped his cigar
    In a gunpowder jar.
    There *was* a young man of Greenbay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahahahaha!! Oooh, those limericks are GOOD! Did you write 'em?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope. Read 'em somewhere, remembered them, posted them. Cute, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No.
    *blink blink*

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a very talented poet.

    Your poetry was really good, they make you think! I like that.

    My favorite one was the third one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gianna, I think the third one is interesting! Good job on all of them. :)
    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blondie: Thank you! I love writing.

    Julia: Thanks also!

    I'm surprised that you all like the third one so much. I actually didn't like it quite as well as the other two. Hmmm.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey. thanks for following. sounds like we have a lot in common. i love your poetry. i write some too. "I" is awesome!!!!! I'm putting it in my quotes!
    LF

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I'd love to see your poetry Little Fairy!
    Oh, and I should say I like your profile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love the first and second ones especially! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Storyfingers!

    Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. It made my day, and yes, I did read every word. :)

    Wow, you are quite the talented poet! I am definitely impressed. I felt like like I was reading from poets long past. The poems instilled a wistful feeling in me, and I can't help but be amazed at your talent. Writing poems is kind of hard for me. And you're right, I'm more an artist of language than a poet. :) I love that term!!

    Thank you for informing me about my Home link! That feedback is most helpful! However, for some reason I can't figure out which Home link you're talking about, since both of them work for me. Are you referring to the one that's an image (this one?)

    Thank you! Your comments are most flattering. Yes indeed, I do love words for the sake of words, and I like to "get the point across, yes, but more than that. I like to package it in my own particular style and hand it over with a flourish." You put it so perfectly! What is that quote from, just out of curiosity?

    I love your blog, Storyfingers! It is the perfect mix of seriousness, beauty, and words. Your presence in the blogging world is so unique, and I'm glad you stopped by so that we could get acquainted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the third ont the most mostly because I go stuck on the first line on the other to. sorry I am untalented and i couldn't pronounce, understand or comprehend those big words... I like poetry so I really tried.

    ReplyDelete