Pages

Wednesday

Simple Things

I've come to realize that one of life's simplest gifts paired with one of God's gifts of love is intentionally one of those moments when God is trying to bring to mind 1 Corinthians 2:9 "...what no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived - the things God has prepared for those who love him."

This conclusion is based on the as-near-as-you-can-get-to-perfection evening that I am enjoying.

Today, we had ice-cream. The important thing is not that we ate it, but that we had it in our freezer. Tonight I scraped the remainders of the frozen goodness into my mug. The second blessing was that we had instant-shell chocolate topping. We almost never have that - much less with toffee bits in it. I took my frozen goodness topped with milk chocolate and toffee bits outside.

The air was cool and the sun was hanging above the horizon just for me. A single bird outdid himself catering to entertain me. The twilight blended the sharp colors of the Box elders and the pines against the lawn until their colors were sweet harmony, designed for the my delight alone. The sky was a dancing mural of muted but vibrant blue, pink and gold.

Four ducks flew over my head in formation. The tinkle of my spoon against my mug echoed across the road and fairy tinkles laughed back at me from the barn. I bit into my ice-cream and toffee bits melted and exploded with flavor. They tasted like liquid sunshine transformed into rock candy - enough crunchy to add texture; and enough sunshine to leave me smiling and savoring each nibble. I leaned my head back and was greeted - I give my word this is true - by four clouds, two round as eyes, an upright-ish smudge nose, and a crooked mouth turned up in one corner by a grin. It is the most natural smile - and the most supernatural - that I have ever seen.

Was this not a perfect moment?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutly lovely, Storyfingers.

    Strangely I had a perfect evening yesterday too. I was sitting in my hammock, catching the last rays of sunshine, swaying back and forth gently in the breeze. I closed my book with the feeling of satisfied completion I always get when finishing a good book.
    I lay my head back and gazed through the tiny new leaves, watching birds swoop through the vast and limitless blue. The sun dipped low, shining through young leaves of golden green and glowing red. The sun highlighted the weeping willow tree down the street and dappled the world. I sat, swaying in the hammock, watching and listening to robins, and thanking God for the little things I saw.

    Was this not a perfect moment?
    I'm glad we shared our perfect moments on the same evening, even though we weren't together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After that lovely comment, blogger decided to make me use the decidedly un-lovely word verification of "Droolam".
    Hmph. Way to ruin my moment, blogger!
    ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled and blessed that we shared perfect moments together. And that we shared them with eachother, too. It seems so disheartening and mournful that in days gone by, people who had friends overseas might never know if they shared a month's worth of perfect moments simultaneously. But we did, and we know it.

    I don't know, "Droolam" doesn't seem so bad. Odd, to be sure, not harmonic and flowing, but charming in its own way.

    ReplyDelete