Pages

Wednesday

Timber Wolf Trail

There is a road near our home that I love. The road arcs higher than the fields on its flanks, and its appearance of being a high road is magnified by the enormous ditch on the South edge. The little highland road, as I like to think of it, is surrounded mostly by fields but in one place on the North side there is a charming bit of woods. On ideally common summer days, it's easy enough turn the amassing clouds into white-topped mountains that rise from a distance and display snow-clad slopes above the tree-tops.

Note in passing: The entrance to the road says "Minimum Maintenance Road: Travel At Your Own Risk" and the sign is shot out with bullet holes.

I don't know if it was that or some other reason, many moons ago, my neighbor told us that when she was young (a while back) and spunky (always and forever) her and another named that road Bear-tooth Pass. I grasped at the name and hung on to it. What could be more perfect? Thereafter I would tolerate no other road for my walks. Why should I? Until last summer.

To be perfectly honest, I walked there quite a bit last summer. It wasn't until August that I heard that another of our neighbors had trapped a bear out of those woods. *Gulp* But then it was too late - the bear was already long gone when I heard about it. So I shrugged and kept walking. Until yesterday.

Mom walked there yesterday. What she saw, she kept to herself until evening. A family friend came out and rode his horse down that same road. What he saw, he told none but Mom. I was blissfully ignorant of anything out of the ordinary, until my mom revealed to me what she'd seen: wolf prints.

"So don't walk there anymore, Gianna," was her only overall point. I gasped and grinned simultaneously (it's easier if you don't practice) "Really? Wolf prints! EPIC!!!" "What do you mean? I don't see anything exciting in that." "Mom! It's like, a wolf! That is EPIC!" Needless to say, she didn't see things through the youthfully stupid lenses I wear.

Just FYI, these are almost as large as a man's hand. Not your average doggy.

Maybe a bit menacing even. 

4 comments:

  1. Wowzers! Menacing indeed. And EPIC indeed. :D
    Quick question, is the paw print pic the real deal, or did you copy if off the internet?
    Oh, and how do you *know* it's not like, I Saint Bernard or some other "average doggy"? Jes curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The paw print is from Google images. There aren't any big dogs in the area. The nearest one is a Great Dane, and he stays quite close to home, as near as I can tell. The rest are little ole black labs. Also, the guy who saw the tracks has seen tons of wolf tracks before, so I trust his identification skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. Awesome. Also, it has been discussed (and bragged about) and in the process, me mother decided that - due to the fact that wolves are afraid of people - I can still walk there. I did. Unfortunately, I think the recent rains took care of the wolf prints. I'll have to keep checking. *Careless grin*

    ReplyDelete