Pages

Tuesday

This is a Secret.

So don't tell my dad please.

Aren't I a good child?

My dad loves the song Music Box Dancer. At first, it threw me for a loop. I heard him playing it on the computer one night, and my train of thought was, Dad? What up? You runnin a fever? You like hunting, dogs, orange and camouflage, you like farting for crying out loud!!! What are you doing? He was listening to Music Box Dancer.


And enjoying himself. Something I hadn't known was possible. I mean, my dad doesn't like classical, even contemporary piano music. He comes to every one of my recitals, but that's 'cause he loves me, not the music. I showed him my Rachmaninoff piece...he was impressed but he doesn't like it, really.

Anyway, after that night years ago, I pulled out my copy of the music and learned it. Occasionally if I ended up practicing piano when Dad came home, I'd play through it without saying anything. He'd come over and sit by me and just listen. I still found it comical, though! I mean, Really Dad?

So I asked him.

"Well," he trailed off. I was confused. It was just a song...right? It felt like something serious - talking about it with him. "You know how my dad was," he said slowly. "I guess this song was always something peaceful that I could listen to. I always liked hearing it." He looked back up at me with something vulnerable in his eyes that I'd never seen before. "Oh." I had nothing to say.

After that, I started playing the song more, and I'd purposely practice when I knew when Dad was coming home. It gave both of us something special to look forward to, I think. He appreciated the music and every time I played, he'd thank me for learning it.

After last year, I kind of forgot to do that for him. A few weeks ago, I got tired of playing all the pieces I'm working on for my Piano recital and again, I pulled out Music Box Dancer. And I had a really random idea. I remembered how much Dad had liked the song before, so why not add it to my recital? It was something beautiful I could do for my dad. Something that would make him appreciate the recital, and would let him know that I loved when he came, and that I love him.

So I texted my piano teacher and added the piece to my repertoire.

*Tear*

I love you Daddy.


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1.11.11

    Wow Gianna! Love it. And makes me saddened for the lost relationship I have with my dad know. Thanks for sharing!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I really, really, really love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3

    That's all I have to say.

    OK, not quite. One more thing. The song is beautiful and so is your idea and so are you.

    Now I'm done.

    ReplyDelete