Pages

Monday

Editing

I think that one of the most painful and rewarding parts of writing is editing. It's painful mostly when others tell you that something's not good and you really should change it. It's rewarding to find errors and make changes. Take out a weakly limping sentence and replace it with one that throws its head proudly, or waves its banner in victory. This time it was painful.

I sent my story, "Sight Unseen" into a magazine that publishes only material provided by youth. The note I received in reply read as follows:

"I have read your story. In one sense, it is well written. But what makes it unfavorable to us is the coincidence of Kari going blind. Nothing can deflate a story more than coincidence. Personally, just having a story with Kari helping Jae realize her potential with "seeing" in other ways was good. That being said, I would be willing to reconsider if you were to submit to me a story without that particular coincidence." (Bold mine)

In one way, that hurt! I don't like having my stories criticized or critiqued, which is why it's so good for me. But on the other hand, he's a writer/editor helping a budding (I hope) writer, and that's wonderful. He showed me how to improve and offered me a second chance. I think I'll take it.

So please re-read my story and let me know if there are any glaring mistakes, anticlimax's or other writing no-no's. Let me know your critiques--but gently--I'm getting used to them.

Thoughtfully-
Storyfingers.

2 comments:

  1. Awe, that's too bad! :(
    But at least he's giving you another chance!! :)
    Btw, I really love what you're doing to the blog layout and such! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love the whole blog layout too! I'm going to try for that second change if I can. Hope he likes it revised!

    ReplyDelete