Pages

Monday

Similes, Metaphors, and Personification.

Today for my Intro. to Lit. class, we had to write our own similes, metaphors and personifications as part of our study of poetry. We were given examples of each and prompters to get us started and the rest was left to our imagination.

Here's are the of examples of a simile we were given. I thought they were too good not to share.

"Glory is like a circle in the water." William Shakespeare.

"Character is like a tree and reputation is like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing." Abraham Lincoln.

Then we were told,

"Your Turn"

Some may have gulped, cried, shivered, etc. Not me. *Wicked, indulgent grin.* I'll put the prompters in bold, and my words in green.

Rain on a roof sounds like a multitude of fairy elephants.

Ice-cream on a hot day tastes like a sip of the purest, most tasteful water delivered to one thirsty in the desert.

Jumping into cold water on the first day of summer vacation feels like bursting out of prison gates after monthes of mental imprisonment.

Those were the similes.

Summer is a beautifully wild rainbow, eternally untamed and bursting with the brightest colors of the year.

A fierce thunderstorm is the battle of stupid giants fighting territorially over clouds.

Growing up is a maze full of dead ends, markers that lead the way, pleasant paths, rocky roads and glowing goals.

Those were the metahpors.

These are the personifications.

A(n oak) tree stands strong, too wise and superior to be disturbed by the light breezes that throw the birches into a flutter.

Winter is a crazed and frosty fairy, cold-hearted and enthrallingly beautiful, designing and curel, but invariably worshiped.

Please! Comment! Make up a simile, metaphor or personification of your own, or use one of the prompters. Or share one that you've used in the past! I really really really really really wanna know what y'all got to say, like, in the worstest way! (Pardon me grammar, it's a good clue that I'm desperate to hear from all y'all!)

4 comments:

  1. Wow. You must be desperate!
    Btw, commenting on this post needs a little thought ... so I'll be back later with a better one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to blog, and I want a post that peolple in my Literature class can relate to, respond to and be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good idea! Btw, I loooove your fairy elephant one! XD

    Simile:

    * Rain on a roof sounds like a coffee pot percolating. (I know, weird one. But so true! Especially if the rain is falling on our metal camper roof, and especially if compared to our camping coffee pot noises. :)

    Metaphor:
    *My legs are jell-O.

    Check your email, I have somethin' for ya that has to do with these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH! AH! AH! Inna, your rain one is SO.TRUE!

    So...this is Anna from your Lit class. *little wave* I'll share mine with you since you shared yours with mine. I liked your unique way of looking at them, by the way. Very different (which is a good thing. :-)

    Basically, for mine (and I won't share all of them because I don't have enough comment space, just the ones I like the best):

    1. Rain on a roof sounds like...a group of children rattling makeshift sticks on an old, tin drum.
    2. Ice cream on a hot day tastes like...angel wings; a taste of Gloryland as it melts down my throat.

    And the tree, which I got completely carried away with:

    The gnarled oak by the river never rejected any lost soul. Under the shade of his limbs he drew little children, broken hearts, and tortured minds. As they sat down and leaned their backs against his torso, he'd stretch his crippled hands down and tickle their faces with dry leaves in attempt to coax smiles to their chubby, youthful faces. Sometimes, they would break and shed their grief against him, and the little children would laugh gleefully and scale his branches in order to feel the wind on their faces. It was then he'd ache deep in his roots, longing to share the ancient knowledge gathered by a lifetime of silent observation . . . or to at least be the steady foundation for the little hands that clung to his knotted hands, just in case they fell and scraped their knees.

    -Anna

    ReplyDelete